This activity works best on a computer or tablet. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Welcome to Black Swamp Bird Observatory's fun and educational
online series, Birding at Home!
In April we featured Backyard Birds.
Here's how it works.
Each month, the BSBO research and education teams will hide several
bird images throughout various websites. Your job as a field assistant
is to locate every bird, collect and record several data points, and
submit your research for analysis.
Option A: Backyard Birds Research
Your task as an online research assistant is to:
1) Locate each bird; 2) Research several questions using the
tools we provide; 3) Complete your data sheet; 4) Submit your
data for analysis using the online form found by clicking the
gray button below.
Use the tools in the toolkit (right) to complete your research. When your work is completed, click the button below to submit your data.
Option B: Bird Search
This option allows you to simply search for the hidden birds,
record the website and specific page you found them on,
and submit your answers using the gray button, below.
Here are links to the three websites to search:
Deadline for submitting this month's answers is April 30.
Your Research Instructions
1) The fourteen bird images below are hidden throughout the Black Swamp Bird Observatory, Biggest Week In American Birding, and Ohio Young Birders Club websites.
2) When you find each bird image, click on its picture and it will take you to that bird's profile in the National Audubon Society's Guide to North American Birds online where you'll find information you need for your home data sheet found in your toolkit, below.
3) Use your Bander's Guide to ALPHA Codes and Band Sizes for the additional required data
4) Use your at home data sheet to complete your online form and submit for evaluation
Your Research Toolkit